Contributor: Carefree Boat Club of Southern CT
You have spoken and we’ve been listening!
It has become apparent to us that many members are upset by, or do not understand, our implementation of No-Go Zones. It is Carefree’s policy that members boat in no less than 5 ft Mean Lower Low Water (MLLW) of water unless they are in a marked channel. Keeping that in mind, along with tidal changes, the Captain may approach a No-Go Zone until the boat reads a depth of 5ft MLLW, at which point the boat must turn back or drop anchor.
To further explain this Policy, educate our membership and point out fun and unique places to visit on the Sound, we will be launching bi-weekly Zoom webinars starting next Wednesday, February 3rd at 7pm. The “classes” will be approximately 40 minutes and roughly follow the agenda listed below:
- Pick a location
- Review the Embassy Guide as to what to do at this location
- Discuss how to learn and plan a boat trip to said location
- Review weather, tide charts, Embassy Guide, dockage, moorings, where to avoid, where to anchor, etc
- How to plot a course with Garmin or Navionics for a float plan
- Members comments about their trips to that location
- Suggestions on next location
- Short Q&A
These webinars will also serve to point out many important boating tools that you may not be taking full advantage of. The use of Navionics, Embassy Guides, weather maps, tidal charts and a float plan will make planning a trip to a new location easy!
We will be sending out an invite to all members this week, and we hope to see you on Zoom next Wednesday! If you plan to attend, you will need to download the zoom app.