Carefree Boat Club in VA Beach is located within the Lower Chesapeake Bay. This vast playground of the mid Atlantic region is open year round and full of boating entertainment for all types of boaters. Below are just a FEW fun things to do while visiting this location:
1. Fishing: VA Beach has been rated as the hot spot for fishing on the east coast. There are numerous species that are caught within 5 minutes of the marina. The more popular species include Rock Fish, Flounder, Tau Tog, Blue Fish, Spanish Mackerel, Spot and Croaker. Many of the fish mentioned have records held in this area, which we are extremely proud of! In addition, there is always a season and bite for each month of the year – an ideal aspect for fishing in this region. Some of the best fishing is in the winter months when the bait fish enter the bay. The game fish follow and provide excellent fishing. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel that connects VA beach to the Eastern Shore provides structure for many species of fish and is productive most of the time; we refer to it as an anglers treasure in this area.
2. Whale/Dolphin Watching: This is a popular event in the VA Beach region. Whales and dolphin are routinely observed about a mile offshore – in front of the Cape Henry Lighthouse. This area is a 15 minute boat ride from the marina. We suggest taking a sunset cruise past the light house. Enjoy a picnic dinner and watch the bay come to life – we promise you will talk about it for years to come!
3. Cruising: Where do we start?! There are so many areas to travel in the lower Chesapeake! Some of our favorites are: Cape Charles on the Eastern Shore (2 hour cruise from marina), Waterside Norfolk (1.5 hour cruise), Smithfield Station (2 hour cruise), Yorktown (2.5 hour cruise), and Tides Inn (4 hour cruise). There are also many rivers, which converge in the bay along with 7 cities to visit locally. Some of our much loved restaurants are within a 30 minute boat ride, a perfect setting for a romantic evening with your special someone!
4. Sailing: The open waters of the Chesapeake Bay provide the most serene sailing you will ever have the pleasure to experience. You can actually sail to destinations in half a day and get back by nightfall! Like competition? There is an amateur sailing race every Wednesday evening that will provide a lot of fun for friends and family as they can all get involved in the race, too! We suggest doing this at least once, but don’t blame us when you and the family become hooked.
5. Water Sports: With all of the rivers and bays there is plenty of room for tubing, skiing, wake boarding, wake surfing, swimming. The bay temperatures are mild in spring through fall, which provides months to enjoy your water sports. If you are into diving or spear fishing, there are many areas that provide good water clarity, sites, wrecks etc. to enjoy.
Come to VA Beach and go boating with Carefree. Let us help create fun and relaxing memories that you will remember for a lifetime.