Memorial Day is more than a day off from work; it is a time to remember those lost while serving in the armed forces and a time many choose to celebrate with friends and family in honor of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
With the holiday on the horizon, you may be thinking about hosting a celebration on the lake. A Pontoon boat is ideal because of their size and large decks where guests can dance, play games and mingle. Pontoons are perfect for hosting parties and having great fun on the water. If you have never hosted a party on a boat, there are a few things you will need to get in order before heading out onto the water for your celebration.
Pontoon Boat Party Tips:
- Safety is always critical when boating, but there is a heightened risk when going out with a large group of people. Make sure you have is one life jacket for every passenger on board.
- Set rules and guidelines for your guests to follow.
- Do not exceed maximum capacity.
- Double-check to make sure you have everything you need for your party such as food, plates, cups, utensils, can opener, ice, serving spoons, condiments, containers for leftovers, etc.
- Foods like sandwiches (as long as they’re properly stored) pasta salads and chips are ideal for the boat.
- If you plan on having wine (while docked) don’t forget the corkscrew!
- Bring board games, cards, charades or a karaoke machine to liven up the party.
- Decorate the boat to celebrate Memorial Day with red, white and blue bunting, along with color-coordinated napkins, plates, etc.
- Be aware of the wind! Do not use any decorations or tableware that could easily disappear with a gust of wind.
- You will want to have trash bags for cleanup. Help eliminate the chances of trash blowing overboard by tying it up and storing it out of the way.
- Bring along paper towels, hand sanitizer and extra water should someone want to rinse their hands.
There is nothing quite as enjoyable as hosting a party with friends and family on the water. Here’s hoping you have a spectacular Memorial Day celebration on your pontoon boat!