Red Drum and puppy drum are biting in Virginia Beach. Puppy Drum is a juvenile Red Drum. This fish is know for its mild tasting firm white fish. The largest Red Drum on record was caught on Hatteras Island in 1984 and weighed 94lbs. The best bet for hooking Puppy Drum is in the Lynnhaven Inlet and inshore wrecks. Some action is in Rudee Inlet and off the piers.
Connie Barbour, owner of Long Bay Pointe Bait & Tackle Shop gave these tips for catching Red Drum:
- bait: cut bait, artificial gulp, live mullets or minnows
- rigs: bottom rigs for artificial, live bait on bobbers, gulp on light jig heads
The limits on catching Red Drum and Puppy Drum recreationally is as follows:
- keeper size limit is no less than 18″ in length and no longer that 26″ in length
- catch limit is 3 per fisherperson
- catch and release citations for 46′ no weight minimum
Tautog is consistent in the lower Chesapeake Bay. A few Flounder and large Croaker are also being hooked. Croaker and Spot are biting off of live bloodworms and cut squid.
Carefree Boat Club Virginia Beach and Hampton keep the saltwater fishing license on our fishing boats. Anyone on the boat is therefore licensed to fish!